Northern Raider- Pictures
Northern Raider is the name given to my1987 Mustang Convertible by the editor of a Mustang Magazine that did a feature of the car. (See Magazine Features). This is my show car and former race car. It has been featured in 6 magazines and is the winner of over 50 awards including two at the World of Wheels in 1996 and one in 2007. I retired it from racing when I built the 1982 Mustang. (Click on thumbnail for larger picture) In summer I drive this car to work as many days as I can. It is NOT a trailer-queen!
Major changes in 1987, 1993, 1996, and 2007
Go here for Historical Overview (4 pictures)
Go here for Body Work buildup pictures
Go here for World of Wheels 2007
I raced the 1987 Mustang for about 5 years moving from the stock 15.7 seconds @ 87mph in the 1/4 mile to 12.3 @ 113 mph on a 3800 foot altitude track. I raced in a number of shoot-outs and did a a number of stints of bracket racing.
I showed the car in a number of Mustang International Meets (USA and Canada), and many Show 'n Shines between drag-racing and when I got my other race car. I have participated in up to 15 car shows in one year.
It was unbelievable how rusty the engine got after only a year or two, considering I never drove the car in winter and rarely when it rained.Regardless, when it was time to detail the engine bay, the engine had to come out.I took the engine out 3 times JUST to detail it or around it.
I didn't do much with the interior until 2007. A few years ago I took the backseat out for good in order to put the stereo in, but the rest was stock until 2006 when I did the seats, carpet, stereo and console
It was my significant other that said "the car looks good but the sound is crap" (and I had Ford's "supreme sound" system!). I upgraded to a 500 watt/15 speaker Alpine system which lasted about 5 years, then changed that out a couple years ago to what you see here- 2400 watt stereo system with 2-10" subs in the back and tweets and midrange in the front.
In 2010/11 I revamped all the equipment in the back seat and added a battery and battery isolator in the trunk. I also added two 6-1/2" subwoofers to the sides.
In 2011/2012 I made some tweaks to some of the fibreglass pieces (shown below), rewired the entire system, and installed a new head unit (2xDIN) with TV, GPS, Obstacle detection, Bluetooth, etc. And I FINALLY got all the parts refinished and painted.